i’m still working on how things got to here but i thought i’d share two photos from the other day. the hens are now 7 months old. the firs one is Juno and the second one is Knight.
while the chicks were still tiny and needing a heat lamp i set them up in a plastic bin i got from target. we kept them inside for the first couple of weeks and then i moved them into the coop i bought. now, since i was completely inexperienced i didn’t think about the fact that those tiny things were going to have to grow significantly before i could tell which ones were roosters! i INTENDED to only keep 6 or so. the guy that built the coop assured me 6 would be fine in this coop. well, as they grew i realized a) we were gonna need a bigger coop, and b) this coop was not going to hold up anyway. i had a major dilemma. i needed a much bigger coop and i had ZERO building skills. my experience with a drill was hanging a few curtain rods.
It was mid march of this year (2011 – spring break) when our box of chicks arrived. I had been discussing raising hens with my kids for weeks and weeks but I wanted to be SORT OF prepared. I needed to find a coop…. I didn’t think I was remotely skilled in building so I was going to need to buy one and they aren’t cheap. Well, after an extreme amount of prodding by my daughter I just jumped right in and ordered a batch of chicks. TWENTY NINE of them. I figured I’d have enough time to get a coop later.
They arrived at the post office in a box no larger than a shoebox and it was love at first sight.